Tarkiln, or as many of the locals knew the area as “Tarkil” was situated on approximately two hundred and twenty seven acres of woodland and tillable real estate bordering on tracts of land or parts of tracts that were known and recognized as New Market, Marshalls Venture and or Carthagena. This deed being conveyed to James Thomas Smith was the same as the deed conveyed from Joseph Ennalls to Henry Dickinson. Henry Trippe IV devised “Carthagena” to his nephew, Henry Dickinson. Henry Dickinson was the son of John Dickinson who had married Anne Trippe, daughter of John and Ann [Ennalls] Trippe. The James Thomas Smith deed/Bill of Sale was first filed April 19, 1845.
Marshall’s Venture [Thomas John Marshall] was the first boundary of a deed from Henry Trippe involving the South East Branch of the Secretary Creek. The South Branch of Secretary Creek is actually located on the western side of the two hundred and twenty seven acres as recorded April 19, 1845.

Today, this branch of the Secretary Creek as then runs under state Rt.#16 in a southerly direction behind the cemetery at East New Market, Maryland. The cemetery property was originally part of the southwestern side of “Tarkiln” and James Thomas Smith later deeded acreage to the Methodist Church known today as the “Trinity United Methodist Church”.
In addition to the property known as “ Tarkiln” there were one hundred and fifty additional acres in close proximity known as the “Walker Farm” included in the Smith Family Estate.
The farm house, being a one and one half story telescoping wooden framed structure was owned by James Thomas Smith and located on “Tarkiln”. The property can still be seen today but in a much altered state. James Marion Smith, the son of James Thomas Smith and Mary Louisa Ennalls Collins Smith raised four children and lived along with his wife Emma Helsby at the “Cemetery Farm” as the family generally knew it.