George W. Harris was born 5 December 1869 in Lee County Virginia He married Rennie Eliza Seale. She was born 12 December 1880, the daughter of John K. Seale and Ms. Smith.
George and Rennie Harris had eleven children:
(1) Mattie Lee Harris was born 8 November 1898 in Lee County. She married Hobert William Yeary. He was born 29 May 1899. He served in WWI. They had several children including Louis Paul (1919), Hobert Jr. (1921), Mary Rennie (1924), and Mark L. (1927). Mattie died 17 April 1984. Hobert died in February 1967 in Tazewell, VA.
(2) Leonard Ernest Harris was born 19 January 1900 in Lee County. On 30 August 1923, he married Labelle Glaybell Long in Roanoke, VA. They had several children including: Rufus Owen (1924-2006), Edna, Harold, Jeanette, Reba, and Thelma. Leonard died 25 December 1981 in Crab Orchard, Lincoln County, KY.
(3) Mary Florence Harris was born 15 January 1902 in Lee County. She married Alonzo Jason Bowen on . Alonzo and Mary had five children who lived to adulthood: Anna Lee, Ruth Margaret, Leonard Daniel, Hugh Kyle, and Betty Marie. They also had two children who died as infants Harold, and Arthur B. Alonzo also had a child named Eppie by a previous marriage. Mary Florence Harris died on 20 May 1987 in Aquasco, Maryland. She is buried in Waldorf, Maryland.
(4) Gracie Harris was born 15 November 1904 in Lee County. She died on 19 November 1982 in Beaver, PA.
(5) Thomas Bennett Harris was born 12 November 1906 in Lee County. He married Julia Gertrude Phelps (1910-2007). They had three children. Bennett died on 11 September 1980 in Latrobe, PA.
(6) Smith Harris was born around June 1909 in Lee County. He died young.
(7) Earl Harris was born on 20 October 1914 in Lee County. He died on 5 March 1984 in East Liverpool, Ohio.
(8) Ruby Harris was born in 1912 in Lee County.
(9) Paul Harris was born on 23 October 1916 in Lee County. He died on 21 June 1975 in Hammond, IN.
(10) Ollie M. Harris was born on 2 January 1919 in Virginia. She died on 22 September 1992 in Kettering, OH.
(11) Chester Silas Harris was born 6 June 1922 in Lee County. He died on 28 December 1990 in East Liverpool, OH.
The Census records for George W. Harris are as follows:
1870 U.S. Federal Census (image 27, sheet 27) Lee County, Virginia, White Shoals Township, Jonesville P.O. age born occupation Hiram Harris 36 Lee Co. VA works on farm Martha 25 Lee Co. VA George W. 9m Lee Co. VA born in Dec.
1880 U.S. Federal Census (image 19, sheet 19) Lee County, Virginia, District 45 age born parents occupation Hyram Harris 44 VA VA laborer Martha wife 28 VA * *father KY/VA mother AL Geo. W. son 11 VA VA Mary J. dau 9 VA VA R.C. son 7 VA VA R.E. son 4 VA VA
1900 U.S. Federal Census (image 14, sheet 7) Lee County, Virginia, White Shoals District age born parents occupation birthdate married George Harris 30 VA VA farmer Dec 1869 4 years Rena E. wife 20 VA VA Dec 1879 4 years Mattie L. dau 1 VA VA Nov 1898 Leonard son 3m VA VA Feb 1900 Hiram fath 68 VA VA farm labor Jun 1831 widow
1910 U.S. Federal Census (image 6, sheet 6) Lee County, Virginia, White Shoals District age born parents occupation married George Harris 40 VA VA farmer general farming 12 years Renie wife 29 VA VA (6 children, 6 alive) 12 years Mattie dau 11 VA VA Leonard son 9 VA VA Mary dau 7 VA VA Grace dau 5 VA VA Bennett son 3 VA VA Smith son 12m VA VA Earl son 6 VA VA
1920 U.S. Federal Census (image 12, sheet 6) Lee County, Virginia, White Shoals District, Bishops Store Precinct age born parents occupation George Harris 50 VA VA farmer on general farm Reney wife 39 VA VA Leonard son 20 VA VA laborer on house farm Gracie dau 15 VA VA Bennett son 13 VA VA Ruby dau 8 VA VA Earl son 6 VA VA Paul son 3y2m VA VA Ollie M. dau 1 (rents, all white, born in Virginia, & all parents born in Virginia)
1930 U.S. Federal Census (image 22, sheet 11) Garrard County, Kentucky age born parents occupation George W. Harris 58 VA VA farmer widow married 28 years Earl son 16 VA VA farm laborer Paul son 13 VA VA (rents, can read/write)
Rennia E. Harris died 12 March 1923 in Lee County. George W. Harris died 9 July 1936 in Garrard County, Kentucky. They are buried near Russell Chapel Methodist Church. George's gravestone incorrectly states he was born in 1870 instead of 1869