East New Market


Cambridge Chronicle

1915 - Another Fire at East New Market -

Early Morning Fire Destroyed Webster & Reed's General Store and Mr. Harrison Webster's Residence -

Sunday morning about five o'clock a fire was discovered in the general store of Webster & Reid, East New Market, which completely destroyed the store building and stock of goods, and the home of Mr. Harrison Webster, who lived in the house which adjoined and was a part of the store building.

The man who brings the papers from Bridgeville, Del., was leaving the papers at the store of Harry F. Howard, Esq., and while he was doing so, a gentleman who was making the trip with him, walked up to the corner to view the ruins of the fire which visited E.N.Market some time ago, and after looking over these ruins started back.  He glanced across the street and discovered smoke coming out of the Webster & Reid store.  Thus the fire was discovered by mere chance.  Although the alarm of fire was immediately sounded, the fire had made so much progress that it was impossible to arrest its course, and the entire stock of goods was destroyed.  The fire quickly spread to the residence portion of the building, and while Mr. Webster and his son were able to save a few of their household effects, most of them were lost.

The loss is estimated at from $4000 to $5000, as follows:  Stock of goods, from $1500 to $2000; the store building and residence, from $2000 to $3000.  The store was owned by Harrison W. Webster, Esq., and Edward Reid, while the building was owned by Mrs. Margaret Johnson.  The losses on both stock and building were partially covered by insurance.

The heat from the fire was so intense that practically every window in the front of  the store of Mrs. Mary K. Willey, which was on the corner opposite Webster & Reid's Store, was broken, and the woodwork somewhat scorched.  Mrs. Willey's store occupies the lower floor of the building, while the Dorset Club occupies the second floor.  Also the residence occupied by Mr. William Clifton was badly scorched.

The Willey store was owned by Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, while the Clifton residence is owned by Mrs. Margaret Johnson.