Jeffrey Standley likely built his house between 1840 and 1850. Standley purchased this property in 1835. The 1852 tax record, shows him with a house and 16 acres. The 1838 District #2 tax assessment list has an entry for Jeffery Stanley showing he owned $40 in real estate and $0 in personal property. So he probably did not own a house at that time. He is not listed as the head of a household in the 1840 Census, but he is listed as a head of household in the 1850 Census. The family name usually appears as Standley in earlier records and Stanley in later records.
From "Between The Nanticoke and the Choptank, An Architectural History of Dorchester County, Maryland" Edited by Christopher Weeks, with contributions by Michael O. Bourne, Geoffrey Henry, Catherine Moore, Calvin Mowbray, M. Fred Tidwell.
This small, three-bay, one-and-one-half story frame house with a three-bay wing on the rear stands on the town boundaries on Maryland Route 16. It is known to have been standing in 1876, but its exact date of construction is uncertain. Its scale is much smaller than most of the other houses on this part of the road, and it was probably originally built as a tenant house.