East New Market

Property Reports

30 Academy Street

Name House

30 Academy Street

From "Between The Nanticoke and the Choptank, An Architectural History of Dorchester County, Maryland"   Edited by Christopher Weeks, with contributions by Michael O. Bourne, Geoffrey Henry, Catherine Moore, Calvin Mowbray, M. Fred Tidwell.

This two-and-one-half-story frame house was built around 1882 by Emma and James Smith and has remained largely unaltered to this day.  It, and its neighbor, the Christina Andrew House, are examples of what middle-income farmers and tradespeople were building at the end of the century.

From the Maryland Historical Trust - State Historic Sites Inventory Form - 1985

D-628.  Built in 1882.  Also known as the William Mills House.  2-story, L-shaped, gabled asphalt tile roof; 2 inside chimneys. Weatherboard has been covered with asbestos tile. 2 over 2 windows. Front facade is 2 bay; entrance in 2nd. Boxed cornice with returns. Modern porch with wrought iron railings. Enclosed porch in back converted into a 1-story addition.