East New Market

Property Reports

40 Academy Street

Union Chapel

This P.E. Church is seen on the west side of East New Market on the 1865 map and the 1877 map.  The cornerstone for the Church was laid in 1839.  The building was condemned in 1891 and torn down in 1892.  To replace the old church, the congregation built St. Stephen's Episcopal Church on the west side of North Main Street.  After the this original Church was torn down, the East New Market Academy was built where the church once stood.  Still even later the current brick East New Market High School was built over the cemetery to the west of the former site of the church.

From St. Stephen's Church, East New Market Parish, 1805-1965, by Rev. William L. English

The Rev. James Kemp, who became the second Bishop o Maryland in 1816, was a rector of Great Choptank Parish and apparently had a tremendous interest in his parish church and the other congregations.  In the Maryland convention records of his day, we find that in 1805 a chapel was built in New Market for the purpose of Anglican worship.  This was the first church in what is now East New Market.

By 1820, according to the records, the War of 1812, as the Revolution before, had grave effects on the Anglican Church in Maryland.  It also seems Presbyterians were causing problems on the Eastern Shore, and the little chapels in New Market and Vienna were in "deplorable condition".

The Maryland Convention of 1839 met in old St. Paul's Church, Baltimore, and in the parochial reports of that date we can find one from the Rev. Enoch Bayley, first rector of New Market Parish.  It further states that a cornerstone had been laid for the new church then under construction.  This apparently was the church that stood on the grounds of the present East New Market School.

The first convention of Diocese of Easton met in 1868 and included in the list of parishes and among the parochial reports was East New Market Parish.  The parish apparently was small, but the few communicants were faithful and devoted people of God.

In 1884 a Rectory was purchased for the priest by the ladies of the Parish.  This we believe was very near the Church and may be the house still standing next to the public school in East New Market.

By 1889 the rector, the Rev. James W. Keeble, reported that a horse had been purchased for him, but the Church building was in sad condition and was about to be condemned.  However, he further stated that an effort was being made to obtain a better lot and build a new Church.  This new Church is obviously the one we worship in today.  The Parochial Report of 1891, by Fr. Keeble, reads:  Our Church Building has been condemned.  We worship at present in an old School House adjoining the Rectory.  My work has been most unsatisfactory to myself, and insufficient by reason of ill health, and for the lack of a Church building and a conveyance for visiting.

Financial problems besieged the Parish in the early 1890's, but things began to look brighter by 1892 when the Rev. Frederick W. Wey came to assume the responsibilities as priest of the Parish.  In his parochial report of 1892 he wrote:  While this parish is in a rather poor condition, having lost its rectory for want of money to pay the mortgage, and the Church building having had to be torn down on account of its unsafe condition, yet during my short rectorate dating only from January 1892, fresh interest has been awakened.  The old Seminary building has been renovated, and the interior presents quite a churchly appearance.

Fr. Wey is due special praise for his work in the Parish.  He directed the construction of the present Church building, and did a tremendous amount of work on the exterior and interior with his own hands.  The cornerstone was laid in 1893.

Through the act of the last Assembly, the parish has also come into the possession of the property of the "East New Market Female Seminary" adjoining the Church property, containing a lot 75 x 156 feet and the old school-house, which will be a great convenience to the parish and enhance the value of the property materially.  In 1897 and organ fund was established and the amount of $107 collected for an instrument suitable for the new Church. 

St. Stephen's, like so many parish churches, has suffered her share through the years.  There were times of prosperity, times of neglect, periods of poverty, and eras of silence and quiet, but through the troubles and the joys she has survived as a symbol of the faith through the generations.  Today, the little grey frame church stands surrounded by handsome lawns and shaded by ancient maples.  The interior presents an atmosphere and sense of reverence found only in the House of God where love exists not only in the things of God but between the brethren.

1928 - Daily Banner - East New Market Items

A history of this property and school was written for the Daily Banner in 1928 by a teacher and her 9th grade class.  The Article is titled History of Our School Grounds.

The Baltimore Sun, October 28, 1940, by Folger McKinsey, the Bentztown Bard

The present St. Stephen's Church of the Protestant Episcopal Denomination was built in 1893, but long prior to that time the congregation worshipped in a church that stood on the site of the present high school, and surrounding which was an old cemetery which contained the graves of many of the old families of the town.

"Clergy in Maryland of the Protestant Episcopal Church Since the Independence of 1783" by Ethan Allen

304.  Enoch Bayley, a native of Vermont - brought up a Congregationalist - ordained in Maryland in 1839, by Bishop Doane, and became Minister of East New Market, Dorchester - in 1843 Assistant Minister of Great Choptank - in 1847, removed to Delaware, but in 1848, returned and has been engaged mainly in teaching.
420.  Henry John Windsor, a native of Nova Scotia - brought up in the Church - ordained by Bishop Whittingham, in 1850, and became Minister of East New Market and Vienna Parishes, Dorchester, and in 1853, Rector of Catoctin Parish, Frederick.  He died in 1852.
460.  James W. Hoskins, a native of North Carolina - brought up a Congregationalist - ordained by Bishop Otey, in 1847 - in 1853 came to Maryland from Delaware, and became Rector of East New Market, and Vienna Parishes, Dorchester - in 1856, resigned and became Rector of All Faith's, St. Mary's.
500.  Archibald Falconer Gould, native of Florida - brought up in the Church - ordained by Bishop Rutledge, of Florida, in 1858 - came to Maryland from Florida, in 1856, and became Rector of East New Market, and Vienna, Dorchester County, and in 1858, of St. Peter's Lonaconing, Allegany.
529.  George Washington Fisse, a native of Pennsylvania - Methodist Preacher - ordained by Bishop Whittingham, in 1858, and became Assistant in Western Run Parish, and St. Michael's, Baltimore Co., and in 1859, Minister of East New Market and Vienna Parishes, Dorchester.

Notes from Kirk Hurley 1991

Union Chapel was built in 1810 and sold to the Episcopal Church in 1847.  From 1810 to the late 1800s, many people of the Methodist and Episcopal denominations were buried there.  When the foundation for the East New Market High School was put in place, many old bones were found.  There was speculation that it was an Indian burying ground.  Many of the records of the Episcopal Church were destroyed in the Chesadel Hotel fire in 1914.

Address Given At Cambridge Rotary Club by Clarence L. Saxton - 1928 -

The Protestant Church was built in 1893.  Prior to that date the congregation worshipped in the old church, which stood where the High School now stands.  The date of this old church is not known.  Around this old building was a cemetery which contained the remains of the .(?). settlers.  ..(?)..section.  It is to be regretted more care was not used in the digging up of the grave stones for the building of the High School.  The school in the town has the elementary grades and four years of high school.  It is an accredited high school of the eleven grade system.  Seven regular and two special teachers carry on the work of the school which has about two hundred and eighty pupils on roll.  There is a playground of about four and one half acres.  Since 1923, a very good and active PTA has raised about $1600 which has been spent for the improvement or the purchase of grounds, library, piano, and numerous other things for the benefit of the school....