Rose Hill was one of the oldest structures on the East New Market map. The beautiful old home was demolished in 1973 to the dismay of local residents.
The Laskowski Papers by F. Arthur Laskowski - Rose Hill
To reach Rose Hill leave the intersection of the main street through East New Market and the road leading to Rhodesdale. Drive west on the Secretary – Rhodesdale road for about ¼ mile. At this point on the right or north side of the road is Rose Hill.
History – In Dorchester County there are a number of old dwellings dating back 150 to 200 years. Some of these were built by members of the old and prominent families of the county and it is a matter of regret that these old families, and in many cases even their names, have died out, although the homes in which they lived still stand. Among these ancient dwellings is Rose Hill, near East New Market, built around 1750.
While this old dwelling is interesting from a point of the ancient date of its construction, there seems nothing of historic interest connected with it, save that its former owners were connected with the early settlers of the county who were prominent in the social, political, and military life thereof. There were all intermarried with the old and prominent Hoopers, Ennalls, Ecclestons, and others.
From the oldest records the property seems to have been owned originally by the Hodson family, which was one of the oldest in the county. John Hodson or Hudson had a tract of land surveyed for himself on 24 November 1665. In 1674 he was one of the Gentleman Justices of the county and also received 600 pounds of tobacco for his military services against the Nanticoke Indians.
In 1696 we find that John Hodson was a member of the Board of Trustees of King William School in Annapolis. In the early days the Little Choptank River was called Hudson River and it was also after this family that Hudson Creek in the Neck Election District of Dorchester received its name.
During the latter part of the 18th century, Rose Hill was owned by the Ennalls family, who were related to the Hodsons by marriage. On 17 July 1804, it was purchased by Levin Lake, and in 1834, his son James sold it to Dr. John F. Houston.
Between that time and 3 March 1866 it had changed hands and on that date it was purchased by Ambrose Wilson, who some years later sold it to John Webster, who in turn sold it to his son, Samuel E. Webster. The property is now owned by Messrs. John and Fred Gore, grandsons of Ambrose Wilson, who purchased it for sentimental reasons as their mother was a daughter of Ambrose Wilson. Rose Hill is occupied by Mr. Russell Hubbard whose father, George Hubbard was at one time President of the Dorchester County Farm Bureau and one of the most progressive and successful farmers in the county.
Building – The dwelling was built about 1750, evidently by one of the Hodson family. It is built of brick and from its construction one can see that it was erected for a family of distinction. The building faces south; and at the front there is a small square porch. Entering the front door we find a hall to the front of the house. To the right of the hall is a very wide stairway with easily mounted stairs. Along the side of the stairway is attractive trim that not only adds to the beauty of the staircase, but breaks the monotony of what would otherwise be bare surface.
There is an old frame addition on the west side of the building and in this are the kitchen with the cook’s room above, dining room, and store rooms. From this section, the main part of the house is reached by going up two steps through an old paneled door. Here is what in ancient days was evidently the dining room. The ceiling in the brick part of the dwelling is very high – so high in fact , that it attracts the notice of the visitor.
The old dining room runs the depth of the house and though long, it is rather narrow. In this room is an old fireplace with paneled mantel. While the present kitchen, dining room, etc., are in the addition, this part is also very old and by no means of modern construction. The rooms are rather small with low ceilings. Off the old dining room is the large old living room on the north side or back of the house. This also has an old paneled fireplace. The hall to the front of the house is spacious enough for a comfortable room and in the old days was used for entertaining visitors as much as the other rooms.
Upstairs are three good sized bedrooms opening off the wide hall. In two of these are small fireplaces. The fireplace and chimney in one of these upstairs rooms is built in the wall as there is not fireplace in a similar place in the room below. The partition or wall of one of these rooms is of matched boards. The wide hall and stairway continue to the third floor. Here there is a good sized bedroom on the east side of the house, the west side being unfinished. To the rear or north of the house is an old brick diary formerly used for storing food as well as root crops. Beyond this is a very old frame meat house.
Grounds – A few old trees stand near the house. There are, however, no plantings or lawn worthy of mention, although in early days lovely flower gardens were planted about the house. Although called "Rose Hill", no one seems to know how its name was obtained.
Note: - The Websters seemed to have an affinity for the canning industry, as several of them operated canning factories at one time in various sections of the county. One of these is now operated by one of the sons of the previous generation. This is at East New Market. Another of the Websters operated a plant until his death several years ago, near Hurlock – another had one at Thompson Station – another at Vienna. A son of Winfield Webster, who operated the Vienna plant, now operates a large plant at Cheriton, Virginia.
Mr. John Gore (Grandson of Ambrose Wilson), Salem, Md.
Mr. Noah Webster (Grandson of John Webster), Cambridge, Md.
Mr. Russell Hubbard (Occupant of Rose Hill), East New Market, Md.
History of Dorchester County, Dr. Elias Jones
Land Records of Dorchester County
From the Maryland Historical Trust - State Historic Sites Inventory Form - 1985
Rose Hill is on the farm north of the East New Market intersection. It is a two story brick house laid in Flemish bond on the facade and common bond on the other three sides, without belt course or water table. It stands about four feet above the ground, but there is no basement, only small slits to ventilate the crawl space. The- house is three bays long with central entrance, and two bays deep. The large windows have wood lintels and 9/9 sash on first story, 9/6 sash on the second story, and 6/6 sash in the attic. There is a steep "A" roof and a chimney on the north gable and one on the south side of the east facade.
The outline of a kitchen wing with extension can be seen on the north gable, but there is nothing remaining above ground. To the northeast of the house is a small "A" roof brick building, probably used originally as a milk house.
The house has an uncommon floor plan, with three rooms on the first floor: one long narrow room on the north side, the stair hall on the southwest corner, extending from the central door, and a large rectangular parlor beyond, in the southeast corner of the building. The interior has very tall ceilings and relatively simple empire mantels. The stair, however, is a well made, delicate Federal work extending to the attic. Its handrail terminates in a volute, as does the lower step. There are three thin balusters per step, plain paneled soffit and ogee scrolled step ends. It ascends on the west facade, extending across the middle of the front window to the landing on the south side, and then in a shorter flight to the upper hall. There is a half rail along the wall, except across the windows, where there is a full balustrade.
The second story consists of a large room above the parlor, a central passage and two smaller rooms on the north side. Several of the walls are vertical beaded board partitions. Each bedroom has a small fireplace with an appropriate simple Federal mantel. Only one of the attic rooms is plastered. The condition of the house is poor. The south wall has bulged about 1 1/2 inches, some damage has been done to the first floor doors and stair, and there is a leak in the roof. It nevertheless is one of the better houses in Dorchester County and should receive its proper attention. May 24, 1972. The building was demolished 1973. It was representative of the more important Federal houses of Dorchester.
Historic Records to be moved
7 FJH 7 - 13 March 1867 - Ambrose A. Wilson & Sophia L. Wilson, his wife, mortgage from John Webster for $2100.90: tract known as "Rose Hill".
6 FJH 509 - 8 November 1866 - Ambrose A. Wilson & Sophia L. Wilson, his wife, mortgage from John Webster for $2566: Farm now occupied by us called "Rose Hill" near the town of East New Market on the west side of the road leading from Cambridge to Federalsburg, and on each side of the road leading from E.N. Market to Cedar Grove, Secretary Creek.
6 FJH 373 - 30 March 1866 - Henry P. Waggaman & Clementine W. Waggaman, his wife, to Ambrose A. Wilson for $2000: tract on the south side of the county road leading from East New Market to Secretary Creek, being part of tract called "Rose Hill", which was laid off and assigned to Clementine W. Waggaman by Commisioners appointed to divided the lands of John T. Houston, deceased. Containing in the part now sold, about 44 acres.
6 FJH 232 - 20 August 1865 - Ambrose A. Wilson & Sophia L. Wilson, his wife, mortgage from John Webster for $2000: tract known as "Rose Hill"
5 FJH 640 - 20 July 1864 - George E. Staplefort & Elizabeth H. Staplefort, his wife, to Ambrose A. Wilson for $7000: Farm or plantation situated in Dorchester County, known as "Rose Hill". Containing in the part now sold about 240 acres.